I did not notice the resemblance to Buddha to which you refer, and I'm
still not sure I do (except for the ears, perhaps).  To me, he looks
more like a plump little boy.

Many descriptions of Sento-kun omit any reference to Buddha, calling
him just a boy:
http://us.jnto.go.jp/anime/pdf/sento_kun_profile.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sento-kun

This may be because many religious Japanese saw the character as
grotesque.or even blasphemous:
http://globalvoicesonline.org/2008/04/22/japan-love-and-hate-story-of-the-mascot-character-sento-kun/

It is in any event an example of kimokawaii.

Thanks for the education, Eric.
Dan Matyola