Thanks to all who commented, Alan, Toine, Dan, Eric, Mark, Brian!

Eric, - to answer your question: I used Pentax D-FA 100/2.8 Macro Lens (the older version, not WR).

I tried a few different settings.
The area was in a shade of a tree and a shed, but depending on the direction there was some bright areas in the background. So, I tried without a flash. But then, I used the built-in flash (I was too lazy to go back to the house for the external one).
I was trying to close down the aperture, to increas the DOF.
These two shots were done with the flash, - hence some catch lights.
1/180  f/10 ISO 400
1/160 f/4.5 ISO 1600 (I forgot to dial it down when I turned on the flash).

Some photos were taken with the hand-held camera, and then I brought a tripod. Besides the breeze, one of the challenges was the awkard height of the spider: I couldn't take the picture while standing straight, and it was too far in a full squat. So, I had to semi-squat, semi-bend, and shoot up from below (to get the correct angle). That is a position in which it was hard to stabilize yourself. The tripod helped somewhat.

I also tried to do stacking, - but I don't think it worked (because of the breeze). I might take a look at one series if/when I have time for that.

Igor