On 2015-06-12 22:48 , Larry Colen wrote:
I was thinking about Mark's amazing macros and how much work they must be. I
know that there are setups to move your camera forward on a slide rail.  Is
there also one that has a wheel with contacts so that every quarter turn of the
threaded rod clicks the shutter?

i googled some obvious terms and immediately found this, though i doubt it is the only solution (looks like it uses a cheapish rail):

<http://www.amazon.com/StackShot-Automated-Macro-Package-Adapter/dp/B0060N6L86>

In a similar vein,  does any of the stacking software construct 3d models of
the object?

again, google, first good candidate is pretty interesting (e.g. visual hull technique, and its limitations, and some cool illustrations):

<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0094346>