We visited Taunton last month because the Somerset County Archive is there, and
it had some 17th century letters that my wife (a historian) was interested in.
Otherwise Taunton doesn't have much to make it a destination.

The Ring of Bells, though, is a superb pub: nice people, great atmosphere,
excellent food, and outstanding beer. A sign outside said that it was CAMRA's
Somerset Pub of The Year in 2014. Should you ever visit Taunton, don't miss it.

Here is a pic so you can recognize it:

Cheers,

Rick