No, he's sliding along the rail, but usually (and more easily) riders will use
the axle pegs on the same side of the bike (ie., either both left side or both
right side). That makes mounting and dismounting the rail much easier.

If you look carefully at Mike's wheels his front wheel is to the left of the
rail, the back wheel is to the right. That means he has to lift his front wheel
high up over the rail as he mounts, which adds difficulty to the manoeuvre.

I have a photo of him mounting that I'll process and post tomorrow; it will
probably explain it better than I can. Picture being worth a thousand...  ;-)

Cheers,

frank