Can't beat the price.

On 7/14/2015 9:38 AM, Darren Addy wrote:
You tell me: My employer got a new 36" wide format printer for their
high tech machine shop and he gave me the old one, which is now
residing in the spare bedroom of my apartment. It is a working, but
nearly 20 year old, HP DesignJet 755CM (like this:
http://cgsstore.com/image/cache/data/printers/HP%20755cm-500x500.jpg )

My main interests in getting a wide format printer have to do with
printing my own large format "digital negatives" on transparency film
for contact printing on both photographic paper (I have a lot of 20x24
Ilford B&W paper that I'd like to turn into prints) and fine art paper
(for alternative process prints like cyanotype and Van Dyke Brown.) I
*think* that this printer will let me do that.

So, even though this is old technology, the features that intrigue me are:
Large format (up to 36" wide material)
Can print on film.
Roll material capable. (I'm looking at getting 24" wide transparency
rolls from Adorama)
600x600 printing (which I'm hoping will be good enough for my negatives)
Ink is inexpensive
Windows 7 drivers are available.

I also got 6 ink cartridges with it, in addition to whatever is left
in the machine. I realize that ink technology has come a long way in
the intervening years (this is only a 4 color printer and the ink is
not like the ultrachromes) and that modern inkjets are capable of much
higher resolution, but I don't intend to directly print prints on this
(though I will probably try it, just to see what the output looks
like).