On 15 Jul 2015, at 22:52, ann sanfedele <ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>> On 7/14/2015 10:47 AM, Jack Davis wrote:
>> Have we decided that it's an Hibiscus coulteri?
>> Thanks again, Ann!

> No, we have decided it ain't - because of the skinny leaves there are jsut
> too many dammed hibiscuses On an irrelevant to photography note - I won a
> challenge against US/World and Canadian Champion Scrabble player, Joel
> Wapnick, some years back In a fairly important tourney when he tried to get
> away with HIBISCI. A rare moment in my tourney history. Didn't keep him from
> winning that game though. I have beaten him, but not in any signifigant
> tourneys.
> Still friends though :-) ann
>>

>>> http://photolightimages.com/aspupload/detail.asp?ID=945

Over here the dictionary that official Scrabble words come from is Chambers,
and a Latin plural is not given, so hibiscuses is the plural in UK English too
- and that's what is given in Chambers.

It's interesting to note, though, the confusion online about the Latin plural,
indeed about the gender and even existence of 'hibiscus' - at least one of the
online dictionaries claims it is 2nd declension feminine - which doesn't exist!
All 2nd declension nouns are masculine or neuter.

My print dictionary (Collins) has hibiscum as the Latin for marsh-mallow, and
does not have 'hibiscus' at all. Hibiscum is 2nd declension neuter, so the
(nominative) plural is hibisca. In this form 'hibisci' exists as the genitive
singular: 'of the marsh-mallow'.

Some of the online etymologies give 'hibiscus', which is masculine, as a later
Latin form (presumably later than the Golden Age) but they don't say how much
later. So it changed gender during the course of its development - a genuine
paradigm shift. In this later form 'hibisci' is the correct Latin nominative
plural.

So there you have it, in case anyone asks why it was disallowed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KAfKFKBlZbM

P.s. I think it's H. moscheutos, which would make it a swamp marsh-mallow, and
therefore a cross-language pleonasmic tautological redundancy.