Thanks, Paul and Frank.

I noted that there seemed to be fewer police visible in Beijing than
in Tokyo, but that the ones in Tokyo were quite friendly in posture
and demeanor, while the ones in Beijing were definitely not.  They
were stiff and formal at all times.  Our Beijing guide, "Jim," did not
think it would be a problem to include the police or military in an
image of the square, but implied in the way he said it that it
probably was not a good idea to take an image of a policeman or
military guard as such.  I did include them in a few images, but never
really pointed directly at one, nor did I take an image while one was
looking at me.   In this instance, I think I was panning on the woman
with the blue umbrella, and snapped the image while the policeman was
in the frame.
Dan Matyola