I had a similar experience with a non-pentax version.  It wouldn't come off
the camera.  It was on my LX and I was real nerveous when I tokk pliers and
screwdriver to it.  Thankfully it finally came off.  Later, I bought a
genuine Pentax adapter and it locks and unlocks smoothly and easily.  I
rarely use it however and try to get k-mount lenses instead.

Christian