>>>Nothing beats a range finder for the quietness, an advantage of Leica.

Ha ha. Nope. My digital with the sound turned off is totally, totally silent. Blows
away all my Pentaxes, and my Leica IIIa. It's my tool of choice when I shoot in a
really quiet classroom, with a shy teacher.

My quietest Pentax is an ancient, incredibly beat up, dead-meter Spotmatic, which I
love, and I often use in a classroom with a declasse Russian 85/2 mounted. Beautiful
bokeh, and just soft enough to soften the age spots on our more, ummm, "senior"
faculty.

Cameras I've used in order of loudness (Loudest first):

Koni Omega (Shutter is quiet but advance is like a rifle shot or, more properly, a
rifle bolt!)
Nikon N6006
Konica TC
Konica FT1
MZ5 (Quietest Pentax shutter, motor ruins it)
ZX7
Super Program
K1000
ME
Spotmatic

(Big Gap)

Zorki 6
Leica IIIa
Speed Graphic (Leaf shutter)
Sony Digital (Sound turned off)

I use every one of these regularly (except for the Konica FT1, which I've sold.)

Chris L.
School Publications Guy