I just arrived at my parents' place in Thomasville, Georgia yesterday after 3 days traveling by motorcycle. On Wednesday night I stayed in Harrisburg, PA and met up with occasional PDML'er Scott Loveless for beer and banter. We mocked all the rest of you behind your backs quite mercilessly. You're welcome. The motel I stayed at turned out to be quite a bit sketchier than depicted on the web, even though it was a big hotel chain. I think the photos are seriously out of date because the place is in need of a refurb. That said, it was less sketchy inside than out and perfectly clean; quite acceptable for a one night stopover. And the view of the river and the state capital out front was wonderful. I'll post a photo later.

On Thursday I went as far as Winston-Salem and stayed with friends there. Friday was the longest and toughest travel day. The farther south you go the hotter and more humid it gets. I managed to dodge all the thunderstorms dotting the southeast (and a speeding ticket on I-75 -- it went to the hulking SUV next to me) but it was still taxing. There was at least one error in the directions Google maps provided but there were several errors in reality that were more problematic. That is to say, several roads correctly identified by Google were not identified at all by whatever local agency is supposed to put up sign posts. By 3:00 yesterday afternoon all the fun had been sucked out of the day's travel and I just wanted to be done with it. It was blazing hot and I was so tired I couldn't even enjoy blitzing the back roads that comprised the last part of the journey. I arrived around 5:30.

So I have several days to spend here before blasting up to Grandfather Mountain for the Camera Clinic next weekend. It is (thankfully) a much less taxing event than the Nature Photography Weekend (no photo contest). Doug Brewer will be present and perhaps a few other known friends of the PDML. Full reports will of course be forthcoming.

---