That's an interesting reference to the fiction books.

As for the phage research, - the group I was interacting with was in the US, but it was them who told me about research on phage-therapy in Russia and Georgia. I was shown a movie about a phage-therapy center/clinic, I believe in Tbilisi, Georgia (but it could've been in Russia), which the professor from that group labeled as "PolitProp". :-)
There are videos about that on Youtube.

The same researchers explained why phage therapy is not broadly developed, at least in the US, despite the available expertise. Yes, "the capitalism" is the answer: a phage and its use cannot be patented. So, any investment a biomed company would put toward producing the cure would not be protected, as it is usually done with any type of drugs. Hence, companies have no or very little incentives to develop this type of cure. Time-to-time, the interest to phages in the US is sparked by the spread of antibiotic/antimicrobal-resistant bacteria, such as MRSA. I've even heard some anectodal evidence of MRSA being effectively cured informally at a phage research lab.
But...
In the mean time, - it sounds like if one is desperate, s/he might just grab some mud and rub over the affected area, in the hopes that there were the right phages there.

One of the possible projects that we discussed was to use phase for some type of "nano-lithography".

Igor