I bet it was 35 or 40 years ago for me, too.

I gave it up after Hermie went on and on about whether a whale is a
fish or a mammal (duh!) and IIRC he concluded that it's a fish. My
young mind was about to explode (since I KNEW the answer, and "fish"
wasn't it!) so I put the book down and never picked it up again.

I'd already seen the movie anyway and they didn't put all that
mammal/fish stuff in. Not Gregory Peck's best vehicle but it was
better than the book. LOL

cheers,

frank