No, it's not a Windows thing. I'm not sure where the problem is, at this point, but I opened the file with Pentax DCU4 and it seems to render properly. I opened it with the other two raw converters I have currently installed, Adobe camera raw for photoshop, (7.1 I think), and DXO Optics Pro 8.5, and both exhibit similar problems with the image that you've had. I don't know what the Pentax software is doing differently, maybe taking cues from the embedded jpeg, maybe using the embedded jpeg entirely, but it is doing something different. As an aside I also tried Ricoh DCU5, (which I hate by the way), and it also opened properly.