Levels are fine for most purposes.
My usual workflow is
-- add a threshold layer
-- set the threshold to the max dark. that would show you the lightest
spots, your white point selection.
-- with the eye-dropper, mark the spots
-- do the same moving threshold to the max white. here's your white
point
-- open the levels, set the white, black and grey points with the
levels' eyedropper
-- fix the gamma.
this usually takes about than 5 min/scan and covers most situations.

--
http://fastmail.fm/ - IMAP accessible web-mail