John,

Twice I've head a similar problem with two laptops (ones with each of them), when they were unable to locate the printer on the local network. In both cases, replacing the printer name with the (fixed) local IP in the printer port settings (essentially installing a new printer by using the IP number instead of the printer name), - solved the problem. Prior to that, when I was actively using my desktop, - I occasionally had a problem accessing that computer and its shared HDDs from my laptop. Again, using the IP number instead of the name solved the problem. My network printer is capable of scanning to the computers. Occasionally, I see that it cannot connect to the computers (by their "Windows" name).
Rebooting the printer usually solves that problem.

Just in case, - my computers are all Windows (laptops are Win7, the desktop is WinXP).

I haven't carried the ultimate diagnostics, but from what I've figured out is that in all these cases it is about how device discovery (via UPnP and SSDP) is happening on the network. My memory is a bit vague, but the reasons are something like this: 1. You need to have the services that are responsible for the device discovery running and not forbidden/blocked by the security policy (firewall), - such as when the network is set (in Windows) as "public" or "home/work". "Public" policy may forbid network discovery.

2. When not on a "Windows domain", but when the computers belong to the same "workgroup", windows computers can take the role of the resource-directory host/controller (I couldn't recall the correct term). Sometimes there could be a clash between different computers, some sort of race condition, so that they fight for that role (at least with WinXP). Rebooting or suspending computer(s) on the network usually solves that problem.

3. The router can have a configuration option for the local network that can disable UPnP. I haven't seen this happening, but a flaky router might contribute to the problem.

While it is not impossible that the network cable can contribute to the problem as you described it, it is not very likely.

And just in case, - this page describes enabling network discovery in Windows computers:
https://pattersonsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19189/~/how-to-enable-network-discovery-in-windows-7,-8.1,-server-2008-and-server-2012

For the record, - my laptop right now has UPnP Device Host service not started (this one and SSDP Discovery are set to "Manual" for Startup Type), - but it has no problem discovering my network printer and scanner.

HTH,

Igor