I've been experimenting with John's advice about panning. It's definitely a skill. Things seem to work best between 1/100 and 1/200 of a second. I've been using his 60-250 a lot because the zoom range I mostly seem to need panning cars going past is 85-250 or 135-250.

I've learned that I need to stand with my hips parallel to the track so that I've got full freedom of movement in both directions.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153738668619673.1073742091.653299672&type=1&l=5aeaf38fc7

Last night, we found what was causing our lack of power:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153736141444673.1073742089.653299672&type=1&l=de5e49497a

One likely cause was that her crew chief put 93 Octane fuel in the car, which is fine for the street, but not so good for doing 160 MPH on the banks at Daytona for extended periods.

She was able to get in most of her session this morning before her motor made an expensive noise. Her crew did not bring an engine hoist, so we spent a lot of time and effort today finding one. A LeMons friend of hers who lives about an hour away was able to bring one to the track about 8PM last night. Her crew was planning on waking up early and lifting the motor. We are waiting on the new clutch to be delivered to the hotel.

At the moment, I'm less than entirely thrilled with the people that she is paying for track support. There's a chance of making this afternoon's qual session, and we should be able to make tomorrow's.

Larry Colen wrote:
I'm too busy being pit mom, running errands etc. to spend the time to do
my best job of sorting through and polishing the photos, but I'm posting
some quick and dirties up on facebook for the social networking,
particularly so the Driver's friends can see what she's up to. These
links should work for everyone:

Friday:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153729616824673.1073742084.653299672&type=1&l=384076ed49

Saturday:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153731750259673.1073742086.653299672&type=1&l=f4afadd4e2

Sunday:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153732593834673.1073742087.653299672&type=1&l=fe48433115

We are fighting some interesting technical difficulties. Sometimes when
she tries to shift into fifth either the clutch won't re-engage or the
car won't go into gear. We just heard from a friend of her's at Ford,
there are a couple of known problems with the Mustang GT clutch and with
the shifter mount.

Last night I caught some snaps of Nicole benchracing with some friends,
and her friend asked me what I was doing tonight. It turns out that a
couple of racers are getting married this evening on the beach and they
need a photographer.

Many thanks to John who loaned me his 50-135 and 60-250. Fortunately I
haven't needed the weather sealed lenses yet, but that's just been luck
of the draw with the sessions falling between rainstorms. I have come to
the conclusion that Florida does not have what I consider to be ideal
climate.

--
Larry Colen  l...@red4est.com (postbox on min4est)