Places like that add texture and interest to otherwise bland and dull cities.
They're the type of place that make cities interesting and fun because they are
small, human-scale and individual. In a country like Canada they are probably
compliant with all appropriate regulations.

In developing countries something like that may seem an eyesore to local people
because it's not modern, and people there often aspire to what we have in the
North. Whereas when someone like me goes to Africa or other third world places
what I love is often what local people despise.