> On Oct 21, 2015, at 12:15 AM, Brian Walters <supera1...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> Interesting how political terminology can vary between countries.
>
> Here 'Liberal' means the absolute opposite to the definition of the term
> in North America. Our 'Liberals' are the conservatives; Labor (no 'u")
> are the (somewhat) leftish group.

What are called liberals everywhere else assumes that a minimum of government
is sufficient to insure liberty. What are called liberals in the US  assumes
that sometimes something more is required, that simply “leaving people alone”
doesn’t necessarily guarantee their freedom. Totally private healthcare vs. the
assumption that no one—children of poor parents, e.g.—should be denied
healthcare because they can’t pay for it. At least as good a sense of “liberal”
as the other use is an imperfect sense.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net

“[I]t is a sign of great inner insecurity to be hostile to the unfamiliar.”

- Anais Nin