On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 07:43:08AM -0400, Collin B wrote:
> > Am I missing something? Can't see a difference.
> > Alan C
>
> > Ditto
> >Kenneth Waller
>
> I had to study it for a while.  Looking at the pitting on the column the
> edges are a bit sharper. Note also that white dot on the right edge of the
> column, to the right of the axle.  It's not like you're going to see an
> improvement akin to making it into a 40Mp camera.
>
> <pessimism>From what I can see it reminds me of doing some edge enhancements
> in PS. </pessimism>

I can definitely see a difference, but looking at two almost identical images
like this on a middle-of-the-road monitor (a HP ZR24w) also shows me that the
differences are easily masked by differences caused by other factors (such as
the angle at which you are viewing the image).  If I shift my head from side
to side (by about one quarter of the viewing distance) there is a significant
change in contrast (which, of course, affects perceived sharpness) which makes
it much harder to spot any actual changes.

As others have said, the pitting on the upright (and details visible through
the small hole in the spool near the top of the image) do show differences.

I don't think much of the photography I do would benefit from this kind of
thing (not to mention that I'm already concerned that if I do get a K-3 the
increase in file size is going to put a strain on my computer system).
How many MB are needed to store a full pixel-shift resolution image?