On 10/24/2015 12:03 PM, Donald Guthrie wrote:
On the subject of statues carved out of the hillside this one is among the controversial set. Is it the hopeless dream that will be never completed, another hideous artwork, or a great tribute to Native Americans who have blessed the project. It is being done entirely with private funding & contributions. But many complain that more money has been spent on the observation point than on the carving.

These photos were all taken in September 2015 from the observation building which is a mile from the statue.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/valdon/340104

Stone Mountain and Mount Rushmore were also started with private funding. I haven't read the history's and don't remember if any Government actually stepped in with money for either of those either.

The Crazy Horse carving would be the most technically difficult, with the large stone bridge of his forearm, and fully realized horses head and for legs. Rushmore was seriously abbreviated due to funding running out, but they stopped at a point, where in my opinion, it makes for a better sculpture than if it had been completed.

Maybe if they did the same thing with Crazy Horse with the subject fading into the mountainside with just the hint of his horse and forearm it would work.

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen