The break even point on printing costs is at about at 8x10 inch size, in the US at least. I compared the printer in question, (Canon Pro-100* ink cost, Thanks for the tip Paul), vs the prices quoted at Shutterfly an middle of the road on line printer, they charge $3.99 for an 8x10. I've still got a couple of 100 sheet boxes of Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss, which is an unfair comparison I suppose, as I paid an incredibly low price for it, (my paper cost is about 10¢ (USD) a sheet, until it runs out), which with an ink cost of 87.5¢ (USD), makes it much more economical.**

Heck if I use paper sold at normal retail, which usually works out to about a $1.00 a sheet, (8 1/2 X 11 inch), for nothing special paper, up to $2.00 or more for much better paper), it's still cheaper to print large prints myself.

Plus I like having the control over the process. That's what I liked about darkroom processing my own B&W. Not only was it less expensive, (especially if you could borrow someone else' darkroom), but what was produced was my work.

However I cannot beat the price of 4x6" or smaller prints done at a commercial printer in bulk. The only time I print that size at home it for hard proofing.***

*The site didn't have printing costs for my current printer but they did have costs for one that used the same inkset, and those were within fractions of a cent of the Pro-100.

**That's for Canon's "expensive" ink, if I were paying for third party ink, which I had a very bad experience with on one of my HP printers, say that Dollar a cart, you're using, the costs would be even lower.

***If I'm careful even 5x7" prints are so close to the cost of a commercial Lab that it's worth it for the convenience, if I'm not printing in bulk.