I'm saddened to hear of Marlene's present condition, and I hope and
pray that she achieves the peaceful and painless conclusion that is
her goal and yours.  Continue to be strong for her and for the family.

I have gone through similar trials over the past 12 years with first
my father, then my mother, then my mother in law and then my younger
sister.  As my mother used to say "life is not for sissies."

I agree with your comments on cancer ads.  We have a very long way to
go.  A friend of mine from our local Rotary Club lost her 16 year old
daughter to pediatric brain cancer a decade ago.  She and her husband
started a foundation, which supports cancer research at Columbia
Presbyterian in NYC.  At the annual fundraising gala a few weeks ago,
the head of the research team reported that they have made significant
progress in the last year towards developing a vaccine for that
particular kind of cancer, but is will be years yet before they will
know how effective it might be.

Dan Matyola