Sentience is the ability to perceive or feel, not to think.

>From Wikipedia:

"Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively.[1]
Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to
think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience). In modern Western
philosophy, sentience is the ability to experience sensations (known in
philosophy of mind as "qualia"). In Eastern philosophy, sentience is a
metaphysical quality of all things that requires respect and care. The concept
is central to the philosophy of animal rights, because sentience is necessary
for the ability to suffer, and thus is held to confer certain rights."

By any definition I'm aware of, sea urchins are sentient.

Cheers,

frank

--

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." -- Henri Cartier-Bresson