Mark Roberts wrote:

> >Mark - True, some don't hold them forever, just as long as you have
> >content on their servers, but some also sell them on whilst you're a
> >customer
>
> Wow. I've never heard of that happening! Do you have details?

You can't find the details directly on the internet (without going through
the process of *almost* signing up for an account), but I came across one
when I was about to press the button on accept terms and conditions; to
which there was a link and a huge document which I can't believe people read
in any depth, if at all. I then decided to ask the question here before
going any further.

Since your question above I've had another look at what various sites do,
this for example is of interest:

http://www.embeddedmetadata.org/social-media-test-results.php

Now I accept with a free service for a provider to either add advertising,
or limit the amount of capacity your website has - or both - but the
impression I am given is that buried in the terms and conditions are often
conditions which most of us would find wholly unacceptable. Maybe some
people don't care what they do with their content if they don't get a
monthly or annual fee and accept it as a trade off? I'm not claiming that
any of them do what they have signed over to them (possible future planning
so they don't have to come back and ask?), but it appears that many rights
can be signed away by the click of a button. I think it would be really
interesting to compare really accurately exactly what hold and for how long
each provider has over the material uploaded to each site, and what each
organisation wants, certainly by someone who understands the legal jargon
well enough to seek out and translate into everyday language what we really
want to know.

In the meantime, I'm happy to put my hand in my own pocket, so they don't
have to look for income elsewhere.

Malcolm