Bob, that looks just like the kind of image you get from an older gen
cellphone with a fairly lo-rez sensor, like 3-4 mpix.

How have you got the JPG rendering configured? They usually provide
two adjustments. Eg: in Ricoh's case, number of pixels (image size)
and JPEG Quality (1 to 4 stars). If you reduce the size I'd expect
something like you're seeing here.

But if that's the result from using the highest Q settings, then I'd
never use anything but raw. :)

--
-bmw