It is odd. If I had to guess, I suppose that the logic might be that if you've
selected silent mode, it's because you're in a situation where you have to
remain inconspicuous and a flash firing would be a problem, so they're
protecting you from yourself. But that's giving them a big benefit of the doubt.

- Marco