Ah, those were simpler times, and while I have a penchant, for many aspects of those simpler times, there were many things, that were just plain stupid, those x-ray machines a case in point. The detrimental effects of excessive radiation have been well understood for a long time. My orthodontist had an X-ray machine, whenever he'd take an x-ray, he'd wear a lead apron, (as would any member of his staff, in the same room). The x-ray machine was kept in his private office to keep the uninitiated from messing with it.