I can tell you're loving every minute of it!

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: Bill
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2015 4:52 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: OT: Adventures in Home Renovations

Anyone who has been on this list for the past while probably knows that
many years ago I embarked on a home renovation odyssey that involved
removing the roof from our modest bungalow and installing a second floor.
In the process of doing this, I pretty much lost the use of my basement,
had to tear out my darkroom, etc.
Fast forward to 5 years ago, we had a very wet spring and the basement
flooded, causing us to embark on yet another adventure, this time having
the driveway torn up, the foundation dug out, and getting a waterproof
membrane put on the outside. Inside, we had to put steel C-Channels
between the footing and the structure of the house to support the
concrete walls, which were deflecting. This is a common problem here,
and pretty much every house built before about 1990 will need this sort
of work at some point.
So, I'm finally getting around to finishing the basement. I have the
steel all nicely tied in, and have brought the insulation up to minimum
R28, with the bulk of the walls R40. I'm now in the process of sheathing
the walls.
I won't be putting in another darkroom. As much as I like darkroom work
(its what brought me to photography), those days are gone, my interest
regarding keeping my hands busy has shifted to carpentry.
Anyway, I was looking at the size of the space i am building, and
realized that 15 years ago, in less space, I had a nice TV room that
could comfortably seat 6, enough room for as much as 30 five gallon
carboys of wine, and could still, with minor rearranging of furniture,
do studio photography.

And it dawned on me, with a little care regarding how I design things,
and a willingness to compromise my table saw wants from a big cabinet
saw to a track saw and good quality job site saw, I can set up another
studio!!!!
Realizing this, a big smile appeared on my face and I decided to have a
glass of nice Scotch.
Life is good, Wheatfield Willie is a happy guy.

---