My name ain't Fred (And, that reminds me of a long running joke). For years
I worked in the same building as another guy. Every morning, he would greet
me, "Hi Fred". I'd reply, "Hi Mac". "My name's not Max", he'd come back.
"That's OK, my name's not Fred", was my punch line. We did that for several
years before we bothered to actually learn each others real name. Anyhow, As
I said my name's not Fred, but I can answer your question.

C-41 film is strange about that. If all you carried was 400 speed, you would
have no problem because you would get a good printable negative from 100 to
400. Advertised film speed for C-41 films are about the maximum useable
speed. You can almost always get away with a 2 stop over exposure. In fact
many of us think a one stop over exposure is not an over exposure at all,
but the correct film speed for general use. Further, if you are not trying
to be artistic you can get a useable exposures in bright sun at 400, and of
course it is usable in normal low lighting.

Now, back on subject, 35mm C-41: I usually keep up to about 8 rolls (24x) of
100 in my bag, and 4 rolls (24x) of 400 speed, and just lately have added a
couple rolls of 1600 (36x). By those ratios it is obvious, I think, that I
tend to use the lowest speed film that will work. I don't usually use more
than 2-4 rolls at a time, but like to have some available at all times, and
it is cheaper in 4 packs. I do not normally keep film in my cameras. When I
finish a shoot, I pull all the film and have it processed, thus next shoot I
load whatever film I want to use. Since the cheap labs I have to use these
days don't charge for unprintable negs that doesn't cost much extra.

With the Graphic I have been using only 125 speed B&W film (FP4+, or PX). I
usually put 3 double holders (I have a dozen) in one coat pocket and 1/2
dozen #5 flashbulbs in the other. So far the #5 flash bulbs have given
enough light for everything I have shot. If I really need more light I would
have to find some #11 or larger flashbulbs. Cavers and such use some really
serious flashbulbs. Unfortunately, I can not afford to get 4x5 sheet film
processed right now, but in a couple of months I hope to have somewhere to
do it myself.  Kodak seems to be telling me I am going to have to change to
Tri-X, and buy more film than I want at a time. <not so happy grin>.

Ciao,
Graywolf
http://pages.prodigy.net/graywolfphoto