I've been watching the By-It-Now auctions carefully over the past month (but
apparently not carefully enough!) and I've concluded that eBay only updates
their search indexes every 60 to 180 minutes, depending on the load. Despite
the 2 hour difference between the listing time and sale time, I doubt this
lens was actually available for more than a couple of minutes.

(As an aside, this strategy makes good technical sense to me, as attempting
to solve the problem using a more direct approach would only result in a
server performance disaster!)

There are some folks who make their living on deals like this, and they
watch some of these categories religiously. There may be some third-party
auction mining software or proxy bidding software at work, too.