The Pentax 24-90 zoom has been out for a while and has been referred to
on this list a number of times. I am considering buying one, mainly for
travel and walking-around-with-one-lens use. I have two 28-70 zooms, the
f4 and the f2.8. Both are fine and have served me well, but just do not
have quite enough range for walking around with one lens. And for travel
the greater range would allow me to carry one less lens -- I could do
nicely with my 20 f4 and a 24-90, plus maybe a 135 f2.8, whereas with a
28-70 I would need a 24 as well, probably. (Plus always at least one
fast short prime.)

The 24-90 has gotten favorable reviews in some magazines, and some
favorable comments here. Seems good, no complaints. But...a few specific
questions for those who have been using it for a while now.

I am thinking in terms of maybe occasional 8x10 prints or even larger,
not just 4x6.

1) Overall impression. Are you satisfied with it? (Build quality,
sharpness, contrast, flare, etc.)

2) Any specific annoyances, problems, etc.?

3) How is it wide open? (Hopeless, so-so, good, fabulous, etc.)

4) Does it vignette with a filter?

5) Finally, anybody compared it to the Tokina 24-135?

All comments will be appreciated before I make a leap and get out the
plastic.

Thanks.

Bob