It is a steal at current prices. The biggest issue is that the buffer is much smaller than the K-7, has no top panel LCD, (which if you're used to that could be a major pain), but most importantly, records raw stills in only 12 bits per channel.

The difference there is huge. I don't know if Doug would care, since the K-7 has that limitation also, but it's one of the reasons the K-5 files are so malleable, that and the extremely low shadow noise, and that is a really big deal.

On 1/28/2016 9:05 AM, Alan C wrote:
Didn't go the first time.

-----Original Message----- From: Alan C
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:54 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: My K-7 is dying

Isn't the K 50 worth a mention ?

Alan C

-----Original Message----- From: Larry Colen
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 1:17 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List

Mark Roberts wrote:
ann sanfedele<ann...@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

I love my K-5 - mine was gotten as a refurbished - had it since July 2013 -

stick around

I bought my K-5 in 2011, which I believe is when it first appeared. I
don't shoot as many frames as some but I certainly give my cameras
more than their fair share of abuse — my K-5 has been bounced,
dropped, frozen (down to -9 degrees F) and had its weather sealing
*thoroughly* tested many times. The only failure it's ever had was
last May when the lens release button broke; I was still able to
change lenses, albeit somewhat inconveniently, with the help of my
trusty Swiss army knife (using the corkscrew, actually). I've never
been dissatisfied with the way it works or the photos it produces so
I've never upgraded. I guess my next camera will be the full-frame.

I have absolutely no complaint about the K-5 or K-5ii sensor
performance. I can always want more.  K-5ii autofocus is much better
than any Pentax that came before.  It is, however, still much better at
photographing microphones than singers.  I wish that there were
different autofocus modes, like one that said, if there are two objects
to focus on, and one is a few inches behind the other, focus on the one
in back.
I also wish it had a lot more autofocus points and much smaller
autofocus regions.

The only real reason that I'd like to turn my second body into a K-3
rather than a K-5 is that my fingers get confused easily, particluarly
with two bodies that feel so similar, I have to stop and look at the
camera to see which one it is, to figure out where the AF or the AF
select (or OK) button is.

But, for simple sensor performance, there are very few situations where
in anything resembling sane lighting, anyone would need a better
performing sensor.  Unfortunately, a significant percentage of my
photography isn't even in the same zip code as anything resembling sane
lighting.

immortality through not dying.
-- Woody Allen