It seemed like a good idea at the time...

A few years back, I bought a 2012 Mac Mini with a 1.1 TB fusion drive. Disks get full, performance drops, and pretty soon a young man's fancy turns to solid state drives. A bit of research and I find that I can pick up a 2TB samsung evo for $585. A bit more research and I realize that while things are apart I can put two drives in the mini and I find a 2TB spinny that isn't terribly expensive. I order a dual drive kit from ifixit and the two drives, and by yesterday everything had arrived.

I've learned some interesting lessons:

1) The fusion drive is actually two separate drives, a 1TB spinny and a small solid state drive. This solid state drive, when put in an USB case is not even recognized by disk utility.

2) The 2TB spinny is thicker than the old 1TB spinny. It does not fit where the 1 TB spinny was.

3) the new SSD is thinner than the old SSD, though not as much as the new spinny is thicker.

4) If you are creative, and not super anal about everything actually being screwed into place the way that it came from the factory, these two drives will indeed, more or less fit into the mac mini where the old two drives were.

5) The directions on ifixit are quite good, but not perfect.

6) Read the comment discussion after the directions *before* you start.

7) Newer mac minis have more graphics processing capability, but only two cores rather than four.

So, I have this machine pretty much maxed out, and running. Four cores, 2.3 GHz, 16GB memory, 2TB of SSD and 2TB of spinny drive.

--
Larry Colen  l...@red4est.com (postbox on min4est)