On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 12:06 AM, Ken Waller <kwal...@peoplepc.com> wrote:
> I remember being told about a regulation about not intentionally approaching
> a Humpback any closer than 100 yards or so. Its different if they approach
> you.

That is the case, Ken.  The waters off Maui are included in the
Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary, and there
are rather strict regulations to protect the whales.   The Whales are
here to give birth and to breed.  They don't eat anything from the
time they leave the Gulf of Alaska until they return there several
weeks later.  (In fact, there is nothing here for them to eat.)  The
regulations are primarily to protect the new-born calves, until they
are large enough and strong enough to make the journey north to the
feeding waters/

The rules are a little more flexible off the coast of Alaska and in
the North Atlantic, as the whales there are feeding and storing up
energy for the next migration, and not quite as sensitive to human
disturbances.  We did a whale watch out of Gloucester, MA, years ago,
and the boats there approached much more closely to the whales than
the boats here are permitted to do.

Dan Matyola