Well, I don't know exactly what to tell you. If it were an old style K or A lens I'd say check to make sure the aperture is snappy, and that the focus is smooth,(same with zoom). Take a few shots and make sure the lens is sharp across the frame, at various focal lengths apertures and distances. Look out especially for decrementing, which shows up as one side or the other of the frame being in focus while the other isn't. It can happen in manufacturing and not be caught by quality control, or if the lens has taken a few hard knocks. Other than that I can't tell you.