Rick,

I am not sure. I can speculate that the difference could come from:
1) method of AF (isn't it different from LV and through viewfinder, - I forgot how it is for K5/K3).
2) number of sensor points used in the two cases.

Also, Bill (or somebody else?) mentioned in this thread that some colors can throw off the AF. I was not aware of that.

Igor