It's been a while since I've posted an update, hasn't it? Well, it's
been a busy semester because I'm teaching a new (to me) course and
there's a shedload of extra work involved. And I got held back for a
week with my computer upgrade. But progress has been happening, albeit
at a slower pace than I'd like.

We have 53 photographers participating this year. Bill, Doug and I
have quite unconsciously evolved an interesting judging system. Each
of us rates a photo on the following scale:
 No
 Meh
 Maybe
 OK
 Yes

I don't know quite how we settled on this particular 1-5 rating system
but it seems to be effective. All the photos have been selected at
this point and a lot of the design work for the book has been done.
I've been on it quite a bit this week, in fact, and I don't think
we'll have trouble making the end-of-the-semester deadline.

My new computer, by the way, is, in the words of my friend Pat Lantz,
"slicker than pig snot". I haven't hit it with any really big files
yet (wait till the K-1 arrives!) but I can tell it's a lot faster than
my old machine. I use a sharpening tool called Focus magic which uses
a technique called deconvolution. It's very computation-intensive but
my new machine chews through it much quicker than its predecessor.
It'll make working on the book much less taxing.

More later.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com