I agree with you, Dan. I think there is a bit too much of pathos there.
I just listened to that video and the one posted by Mark,
and I had to go back "to the source" and make sure that I remember it correctly.

I find some magic in the "beat" in the two voices, even when you can hear imperfections of the live performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--DbgPXwLlM
And the album version is even more "magical":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

Igor