Congratulations & good luck Mark. Using a digital camera is instant
fun and for your students instant understanding of the fundamentals as
opposed to the film school days.

Text Books?? Just take you students out after the core classroom
session for a real time hands on experience.

My classroom is a photo walk Mark. Of course my classes are free
through the Bangalore Walks Society.

Bangalore is a green city on 3200 feet height plateau. It has the
Lalbagh Park, a mighty mix of a hill top, a huge lake where bird
varieties are plentiful, a glass house royal British style, a flower
clock, fountains, the rarest of tree varieties, plants and flowers -
literally a horticultural store house, jungle trails with park
benches, hordes of pigeons, a temple, Japanese garden. Flower and
fruit shows are held here regularly. And the colorful stalls a delight
to behold.
Why I mention this? 1) Gives my students a chance to learn and shoot
many genre of Photography - nature, birds, landscape, Macro, Portrait,
just about anything, as this place is a one-in-all.
                                 2) Perhaps you can find something
similar for your Digital Photography Classes.

Regards.
Bipin.

Light brings great photos & happiness, shadows touch the soul.