Oh and earthquakes, you forgot to mention earthquakes.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Colen" <l...@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: PDML: Where are you located? (Lurkers also welcome to reply.)

Paul Stenquist wrote:
I'm looking in Asheville and on the coast at New Bern. Florida's gulf coast isn't all that bad either with breezes off the gulf on summer nights. Was thinking of looking in California near Larry's place, but taxes are killer.

We make up for the taxes with high property costs.

But other than nice weather, four racetracks within a few hours drive, the beach a few minutes away, skiing and Yosemite a few hours away, an incredible music scene, and proximity to an amazing variety of food in the Bay Area, several state parks within a half hour drive, and being smack dab in the middle of one of the best wine regions in the world, there aren't a lot of reasons to live here.

Portland OR, where hipsters go to retire, also has a lot to recommend it, starting with Powell's City of books.

I think you folks should spend the summer touring the country, visiting PDMLers and getting a better idea of what areas work for you.