Jostein wrote:
http://www.alunfoto.no/sider/peso/

Comments most appreciated.
This photo is an experiment in stacking. It's made from about 40
exposures, which may be overkill but is at least without glitches in the
focus area.
Personally I don't like the sharp transition between in-focus and OOF
areas in the picture, and wonder if anyone has suggestions for how this
can be rendered in a more natural looking way.

While I really like the photo, I do see your point regarding the sharp transition. Without reshooting it, I wonder if you could apply some sort of blur effect to just the background. Perhaps mask out the in focus pepper corn and apply the blur function in a gradient mask to the background.

I suspect that in the process of shooting, you could, as has been said, once you get past the subject, take a few more shots at higher f-stops, so with each shot, as you get further away, the depth of field gradually transitions.

Jostein