Hdmi is digital, cha is analog.
Hdmi-to-vga "adapter"  actually needs to be a digital -to-analog converter.
But IIRC, some video cards can send an analog signal if they sense a simple adapter. ... or something like that... I forgot the details. So, even if your video card can do that , your hdmi-dvi adapter doesn't create that condition.

So, you either need a correct direct hdmi-vga adapter (I bought one from Amazon for $10-17), or you need an hdmi-vga converter, if the video card is not capable.

Situation with dvi is probably similar.

Igor

Sent from mobile phone