Collin -

I'm not familiar with the lenses you reference or implications for lens design, but the sudden transition from in focus to out of focus that you get when focus stacking can be used to manipulate the bokeh. For example, I did not need ot stack this shot but did to put the background of out of focus, and only stacked the images needed to get the dragonfly in focus:

http://www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/media/blogs/calarti/2014/IMGP1396-1409_L.jpg

The abrupt transition is obvious in the blade of grass just to the left of the dragonfly's abdomen, near the bottom of the image. With some selective layering or cloning from one image to another that could have been easily addressed.

A couple other samples and comments about the images and stacking technique are here:

http://www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/index.php/stack-focused-dragonflies

Mark