The quotes for the remanufactured CVT are all for one from Subaru. FWIW, the independent shop told me ~8000 to put in a remanufactured unit, in the ball park with what the local to what the local dealer told me. The alternative is a used CVT - i.e. one pulled from a car in a junkyard.

I'm starting to think the used CVT route may not be a good one...