On any UNIX system disk reads are cached and writes are delayed to
avoid redundant or unnecessary write operations. This is normal
behavior. Unmounting a drive flushes all the caches to the device so
it's consistent.

If you remove a drive -- of any kind -- from a UNIX system (including
Mac OS X) without first unmounting may or may not leave the filesystem
in a damaged state.

No, there is no intentional "break me" mode for SD cards. :)

--
-bmw