On 6/6/2016 12:21 PM, John wrote:
On 6/6/2016 9:34 AM, David J Brooks wrote:
On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 7:58 PM, John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:
I think we finished up around 1:30 pm. I drove straight through without
a break so I could get to the PetsHotel in Raleigh before they closed to
pick up Baxter lest she have to spend another night with strangers.

I'm sure that was appreciated

I saw a bear in the wild for the first time at GFM. It rained Saturday
night.

They've changed the program format slightly from previous years with the
evening presentations ending early enough you can get to the overlooks
to photograph sunset.

Saturday night, as soon as the presentation ended, I went down to the
overlook just below the entrance. When I got there, a woman made a
shushing sign (finger over lips) and then a "come over here" wave.

Overlook just below the entrance to the CAMPING/Picnic area.

I went over to see what she wanted; she pointed down over the wall and
whispered "Do you see them?"

A few seconds later I did - two young black bears (or older cubs).
Didn't have time to go back over to the car to grab my camera, but I did
actually SEE wild bears at Grandfather mountain.

Nothing came sniffing around the campsite in the middle of the night,
but there were two hoot owls late Friday night. Couldn't see them, but I
could hear them calling - one over near the campground entrance and one
down the path in the direction of the guest cabin.

As far as wild animal photography goes, I managed to get a couple of
fuzzy shots of a chipmunk.

It was a fun weekend. I'll do it again as many times as I'm able to.

Stephen Fletcher is the Archivist at the UNC Wilson Library. His talk
was about digitizing the photography collections concentrating on
Western North Carolina photographers & especially the Hugh Morton
Collection.

http://www2.lib.unc.edu/ncc/pcoll/inv/P0081/P0081.html

http://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/index.php/2016/06/a-climb-to-the-bridge/

He also showed a few of his own photos & he's the one who said he bought
a K-1 just before coming to the GFM Nature Photography Weekend.

PS: My family visited Grandfather Mountain more than once while I was a
child, and seeing the photos in that blog entry, I remember those dirt
roads going up to the top.