It takes a long time to become that natural smelling.

I could get there after around 18-24 miles backpacking on warm days - Just ask my wife !

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob W-PDML" <p...@web-options.com>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: Home from Grandfather Mountain.

On 8 Jun 2016, at 19:04, Ken Waller <kwal...@peoplepc.com> wrote:

The whole idea here is to not present a unique odor for the bear to come and check out.

So the less you smell 'civilized' the less chance you'll become their next meal.

It takes a long time to become that natural smelling. Snipers and ghillies and such-like apparently spend days in the wild getting smelly enough not to leave a human scent that dogs can follow or animals can recognise as human.

A big issue with bears is not to suprise them. Several of the maulings I'm aware of were due to humans getting
between the mom and her cubs or

those that came upon a bear and surprised it.

That would certainly do it.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stanley Halpin" <s...@stans-photography.info>

In early September we will be in Alaska, have a one-day tour where the two of us (and maybe 2 others) will be flown to an area to be determined where bears have been recently spotted according to the best information the pilot has acquired. The information sheet includes the following list of items that we should not bring:

• Seafood in your lunches
• Backpacks or clothing from previous days fishing, unless thoroughly washed
• Glass containers
• Aerosol sprays
• Bear spray or Pepper spray (unsafe on the aircraft)
• Firearms (not allowed on the aircraft)

They don’t mention after-shave.

stan