From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Larry Colen
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:21 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: Two Questions - more or less More IR

Mark Stringer wrote:

> the old B&W film days.  Both have instant surrealism which I think is
> harder to achieve with color.  These days any digital image can be
> made surreal but all of the mundane subjects I am tired of are new again
in IR.

> Stringer (aka "no mas Mark")

conversion?

I think that if my goal were IR, and I had a K20, I'd sell it and buy a K-r
(even a K-x) or just about anything newer.  I loved the UI on my K20, but
once I bought a K-x I hardly ever used my K20 outside "the studio", unless
it was raining out.  The images from the K-x were that much better.  The K-r
is a K-x with every shortcoming improved. I'll be putting my K-5ii up for
sale in the next few days, and I'll probably be lucky to get $300 for it. At
that, in many ways, it'll outperform just about every other Pentax short of
a K-1.  The difference in performance between a K-5 and a K20 is hard to
believe.

If you're shooting with a K-100, you can just about get away with IR without
doing a conversion, just putting an IR pass filter on it because the IR
block filter on it is so weak.

When I was getting my first K-5 repaired, I had them convert it to full
spectrum IR.  It was lots of fun, unfortunately, the camera died shortly
thereafter for other reasons.  You can do lots of fun things with a full
spectrum camera and an IR flash.

follow the directions.