-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Nitin Garg
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 2:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ZX-L and Pentax Metering

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 02:43:51PM -0600, Joseph Tainter wrote:
>> Shutterbug describes the ZX-L as a 5n replacement. Peterson's reviews it
>> in their current issue and calls it a ZX-7 replacement. Huh?
>>
>> Of course, it comes only with program metering. No center-weighted or
>> spot.

>This has been said before and everytime somebody corrected it to the
>contrary. It has both center and spot.

Well, I've read the manual and it appears that the ZX-L can have
multi-segment
or spot metering.  Worse off, it can only be switched by using the customed
function to program the AE lock.  This means that when I use AE lock, I can
only have multi-segment or spot.  Also, there seems to be no way to switch
to center-weighted metering unless I use a non FA, F, or A lens, i.e. older
M and K lenses!  This is bad news for an old center-weighted timer like me
:-(.
Umm, another control taken away from the user.  I suppose the tyro doesn't
use or need the various metering modes :-(.  I just check the ZX-7 user
manual
and it appears that there is no metering modes selection at all.

Fortunatley, the ZX-5n (and MZ-3?) has all three metering modes, as well as
the MZ-S and the good old PZ-1p ;-).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ron B[ee]